Monday, February 18, 2013

Side Effects

As someone who is training to be a therapist it was hard to overlook some of the glaring obvious issues with this movie. However, I will try to get past the fact that no release of information was signed by the client for her current psychiatrist to speak to her past psychiatrist.

Moving right along, if you see the movie and you are in this world as well you will come to understand as I did why it did not really matter anyway. Between dual-relationships, lies, murder, and "side effects" you will be swept into the story just as I was. Initially I was concerned that this would be a movie showing all of the side effects of medication that can actually help individuals when used correctly, meds such as SSRIs and so on. I was quickly set straight however in that the story is so much more. Rooney Mara as Emily Taylor was, what's the right word? Interesting... Now, I know she is best known in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but I have not yet seen that film. So, although she is in movies that I have seen I did not recognize her. That's not a bad thing, I'm becoming more and more a fan of people who are not in every movie. I struggled to believe Mara's character until the very end which I guess is what was most important. 

Overall, I really liked this movie and Jude Law of course does an amazing job. At one point I think the audience is lead to worry that he is losing it, but because of how hard he is trying you continue to be on his side. Zeta-Jones also does a fabulous job, especially in the case of the big twist which all of a sudden explains everything! Well done cast on a movie that stayed interesting and was not a repeat of something already out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment